[c-nsp] sup720 - is using 'mls rate-limit unicast cef receive' wise/recommended?

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Thu Jun 23 18:02:40 EDT 2005

Hi guys,

What feels like an eternity ago, when installing WS-SUP720 boxes
(i.e., w/PFC-3A's), we found that 'mls rate-limit unicast cef
receive' really helped the RP when you carefully aimed smartbits
interfaces at it (i.e., packetstorm the interface addresses with any
sort of traffic you like).  It helped with keeping the box from
dropping routing protocol adjacencies and the like.  My impression
from the documentation is that this command will limit the rate of
stuff being sent from the SP through for the RP's examination (to see
if the traffic is worthy of actually going to IOS' "IP Input" function).

My question is, do other people use this?  I've not seen mention of
it here.  If you do, what values of the rate and burst size (I use
"40000 10") do you use?.  Is this a part of undocumented folklore for
these boxes?

Is this a command useful on WS-SUP720 only? (i.e., on SUP720-3B or
3BXL is it just unnecessary to do this?).

-andrew