[c-nsp] 3550 Frequent Port Hardware failure

Kevin.X.White at corusgroup.com Kevin.X.White at corusgroup.com
Wed Mar 16 09:53:18 EST 2005

Hi,

 We are seeing frequent (3 failed switches out of 7 in 2 yrs!) failures on
our 3550-FXs

All are port failures, symptoms may be:

ports flap with nothing but a cap on the port,
ports fail loopback test on powerup,
ethernet controllers fail powerup etc.

Our hardware support partners have run 'test firmware' & confirmed the H/W
is indeed faulty!

However, all of the remaining functional ports continue to route/switch
properly,
SNMP & CLI work fine with nothing in the error log (execept
flap/errdissable records)

Does anyone see this level of failure in 3550 H/W or in any other Cisco
kit, (btw the mtbf for 3550 H/W is around 22 yrs!)

Kevin
This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Plc nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.