[c-nsp] 7204 performance

ted klugman tedklugman at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 15:25:31 EST 2005

--- Rey Martin <rey.martin at qalacom.com> wrote:

>>> An engineer suggested that the root of the problem
is that our 7204
>>> routers (with NPE-400) is adding a large amount of
latency (on the
>>> order of 30-50ms), and that the solution is to
move our ATM
>>> connections to our core networks with FlexWAN
modules in our
>>> Cat6500's
>>
>> That's absurd.  There's no way that an NPE-400 box
is going to add any
>> significant amount of latency with such a small a
connection off of a
>> PA-A3
>> (or even A6 or whatever), unless the box is being
constantly hammered
>> through other higher speed ports.
>>
>> I've used NPEs and VIPs with PA-A3 cards for at
least 4 years now and
>> the results have always been excellent.  Even the
CX bus AIP adapter
>> running with an old RSP2 (test box :) handles 20Mb
loads gracefully.

>Agree with this, 2M is 'nothing' for NPE-400.
>
>btw since we are talking about 'high' latency,
perhaps you could give some number? just curious..

We're seeing ~200ms from the east coast US to Tokyo.
Engineer claims that by deep-sixing the 7204's and
bringing the DS-3's to our core 6500's through FlexWAN
modules in all three locations, we can shave 30-50ms
of latency. I don't believe it.