[c-nsp] Cisco CRS-1 vs Juniper M320

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Mar 31 14:24:05 EST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 tin.nguyen at sasktel.sk.ca wrote:

> Hi everyone, I am comparing Cisco CRS-1 vs Juniper M320 for IP/MPLS core
> routing application. From Cisco's literature & Light Reading CRS-1 test
> results, it seems that Cisco has leapfroged Juniper. I am interested in
> hearing opinions from people that had experience with the CRS-1 either in
> production deployment or lab testing. Some of my questions:
>
> - is the new IOS-XR as stable/resilience as Cisco claims? I would hope that
> it is better than IOS.

It's too new to tell.  A site nearby has had a CRS-1 running for about 6
months, but I don't know if it's doing anything production-critical for
them.

> - are there any important features not yet available in IOS-XR? with IOS,
> the feature you desperately need is always in the next major release train.
> - pro's and con's as compared to the M320

I don't think the M320 would be the right platform to compare to a CRS-1.
Juniper's closest match to it would probably be the TX Matrix, based on
the T640 platform.

jms