[c-nsp] Cisco CRS-1 vs Juniper M320

Caren Litvanyi litvanyi at grnoc.iu.edu
Thu Mar 31 17:12:29 EST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> > - pro's and con's as compared to the M320
>
> I don't think the M320 would be the right platform to compare to a CRS-1.
> Juniper's closest match to it would probably be the TX Matrix, based on
> the T640 platform.

I think it is valid to compare the half-rack, 8-slot CRS to either a
single T640 or M320, though of course the T640 is the closest.  Both
the T640 and the CRS 8-slot version have 8 40G slots in a 19" half rack.
If you want to compare to an M320 which is a bit more apples-to-pears,
there are of course packaging/size, power, and 20G/slot vs. 40G/slot
to consider, as well as current availability of lower-speed interfaces
(which may not matter to someone looking for a core IP/MPLS router).
You don't have to be seeking a multi-chassis monster to consider a CRS.
Caren