[c-nsp] VLAN Mapping on a 6500 - what ports will be affected?

Aaron Daubman daubman at gmail.com
Wed May 11 13:16:44 EDT 2005

Greetings,

I'm looking to do some VLAN translation on a 6500, and was reading
over the info at:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/cmdref/s1.htm#wp1320204

There are some rather scary caveats listed that are not well explained.  Namely:
"""
The VLAN mapping that is configured on a port may apply to all the
other ports on the same ASIC. In some cases, a mapping that is
configured on one of the ports on an ASIC can overwrite a mapping that
is already configured on another port on the same ASIC.

The port VLAN mapping is applied to all the ports on a port ASIC if
that ASIC does not support per-port VLAN mapping.
"""

The first card I'll be looking to map VLANS on is a 'WS-X6724-SFP'.
This is listed as supporting "Per port group" vlan translation, rather
than "per-port", with the groups listed as being ports 1-12 and 13-24.
 Does this mean that any vlan translation I apply to port 4 will also
affect (translate) dot1q traffic on ports 1-12 (that would be bad)?  I
thought at first that "port group" was referring to PAgP/EtherChannel,
but after reading the warning, think perhaps it is instead referring
to port-groupings per-ASIC for the different cards in the table?

I'd appreciate some clarity on this (before I inadvertently end up
incorrectly translating all the VLANS on our intra-core link ;-) .

Thanks,
     ~Aaron