[c-nsp] VLAN Mapping on a 6500 - what ports will be affected?

Brett Frankenberger rbf+cisco-nsp at panix.com
Wed May 11 14:36:20 EDT 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 01:16:44PM -0400, Aaron Daubman wrote:

> The port VLAN mapping is applied to all the ports on a port ASIC if
> that ASIC does not support per-port VLAN mapping.
> """
>
> The first card I'll be looking to map VLANS on is a 'WS-X6724-SFP'.
> This is listed as supporting "Per port group" vlan translation, rather
> than "per-port", with the groups listed as being ports 1-12 and 13-24.
>  Does this mean that any vlan translation I apply to port 4 will also
> affect (translate) dot1q traffic on ports 1-12 (that would be bad)?

The mapping table is per-ASIC.  So the mapping table for port 1 will be
the same as for ports 2-12; changing it on any of those ports will
change it on the other ports.  (At least in Native IOS, this will be
obvious if you look at the running config -- the mapping commands will
appear on every port on the ASIC.)

However: whether or not mapping is enabled is per-interface.

So, if you want to configure VLAN mapping on port 1, but not ports 2
though 12, that's no problem.  Configure the mapping table on port 1,
then enable it on port 1.  Ports 2 through 12 will have the same
mapping table, but won't be using it unless you enable VLAN mapping on
those ports also.

When you run in to trouble is if you want to configure mapping on two
ports on the same ASIC, and you need a different mapping table on both
of those ports.

     -- Brett