[c-nsp] 12008 replacement, 7300?

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Fri May 13 08:35:42 EDT 2005

The 7300 chassis is more of a replacement for the 7200 series,  It is
a CEF based router with a central routing engine
The 12000 chassis is a dCEF router with distributed routing engines.

The 12008 chassis has a non-upgradable backplane/CSC running at OC-48
per slot.  If you need more chassis bandwidth you can upgrade to a
12400 or 12800 series chassis which will provide 10 & 40 gigabit/slot
bandwidth.

If you don't need the extra chassis bandwidth you could just replace
your aging LCs and upgrade your RPs to PRP-2s.  If you stay with the
12000 series you can upgrade incrementally adding memory/CPU where
you need it.  If you forklift to a 7300 you will be junking a lot of
gear and limiting yourself to future growth.

Personally, I would stay with the 12000 series and upgrade the LCs

-Matt