[c-nsp] Which IOS solves GRE/TTL bug?

Glenn Tan glenn at intermedia.com.sg
Tue May 17 16:28:06 EDT 2005

Hi Gert

I'm running 12.2(18)S on 7500s. I have upgraded one of the boxes to
12.3(13) tonight and it seems that the TTL bug has been fixed on this
one. Hopefully it doesn't create more problems than it solves.

Do you have any idea what the issue was with tunnels which randomly
stop working? I can't find much information about this but I do know
that it exists, and I would sleep much more peacefully knowing the
bug has been resolved.

Thanks.

GD> Hi,

GD> On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 06:58:23PM +0800, Glenn Tan wrote:
>> Does anyone know which version of IOS contains the patch for the bug
>> where the TTL doesn't get decremented for GRE tunnels?
>>
>> We've also had tunnels which randomly stop forwarding traffic and the
>> only way to get them working would be to delete and reconfigure the
>> interfaces.

GD> This question is way to generic to start answering it.  Most IOS trains
GD> affected will have the bugfix, unless the whole train is end-of-life.

GD> So to give you a complete answer, we'd need to know what IOS version
GD> on what platform you are running now.

>> Will 12.3(7)T solve the above issues?

GD> This depends on where you come from.  Chances are high that it will
GD> mainly bring up MANY more issues.

GD> I can say for sure that 12.3(10a) on 7200s does not exhibit the GRE-TTL
GD> bug anymore - I think it was fixed in 12.3(9) or 12.3(10), can't remember.

GD> gert

Best Regards,

Glenn Tan
Senior Network Manager