[c-nsp] Strange 831/SOHO issue

Michael Markstaller mm at elabnet.de
Wed May 18 04:23:02 EDT 2005

now, I'll try to sum up some of them..
the biggest problem was, I never achieved to run 12.3(7)T somehow working on the 83x..
12.3(7)T was the only IOS I had reasonable & acceptable success on the 17xx with as any other had at least one "killer" bug. I also got roundabout 20 interims-images from TAC which didn't make things clearer..

now back to the 83x, being mostly stuck with 12.2(13)ZH4 as anything else ended in no or less function at all:
- horrible performance, from below 256kbps 3DES to below 1Mbps downloads without IPSec at all
- daily hangups when getting under load, various memleaks, various bugs (radius source interface)
- ATM/DSL-interface stopping to forward traffic (on 836) without visible reason (like queue wedge); shut/no shut to recover
- all the MTU things - broken, broken, broken..

I'm currently playing with 12.3(14)T (MTU / ICMP Type 3 Code 4 is broken once gain) and 12.4(1) (ICMP T3C4 works again but odd hangups stopping traffic) on some 17xx test-boxes but I'm not as far as using 12.4(1) out in the field.

> the most part,
> had reasonable success with them running multi-site
> IPSec/VPN/FW/DMZ (as much
> as can be expected from running T releases on any platform).
> It's a matter of
> ducking and dodging your way around T release bugs, but most
> of them have been
> platform independent bugs anyway :(  This should hopefully

sure, most are but I had some platform-dependent problems only on the 83x with at least 12.3(7)T and as it was the only images until 12.4 without any platform-independent master-bug stopping me from using it at all I stopped buying 83x..
And you can believe me, I spent many hours reporting bugs to TAC but the result was "not that great": Go back or wait for 12.X.Y.Z

> settle a bit going
> forward with 12.4 mainline.

I also hope this - indeed really praying for it with about 50 1712s out there, at least one spitting around every few days..

> The interfaces administratively shutting down problem is most
> odd...have the
> TAC been consulted about this?
>
> reuben

Michael