[c-nsp] Suggestion needed for Sub-interface & PVC creation

Malik Naeem malik.naeem at dols.net.pk
Mon May 30 09:25:31 EDT 2005

Dear James

In reference to your mail on NSP list in September 2004:

https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2004-September/012779.html

We are running almost the same kind of services using Cisco 7206 as our
BRAS. I have configured approximately 1000 sub-interfaces for our PPPoE
subscribers, using the following configuration:

interface sub-interface point-to-point
  pvc VPI/VCI
   encapsulation aal5snap
   protocol pppoe
  !
end

We also want to run RBE & PPPoE simultaneously, which can be done easily
by creating a separate sub-interface for RBE. I am facing some problems
while handling all this stuff which are listed below:

1. Is it possible to create a multipoint sub-interface having PVC for
both PPPoE and RBE?

2. As mentioned above I have created a large number of sub-interfaces
i.e. separate sub-interface for each subscriber, as a result of which
the size of our configuration is very large. Defining a PVC range on a
single sub-interface reduces the configuration size. In your opinion,
which approach is better creating separate sub-interfaces or a single
sub-interface with a large PVC range? (Assuming that the type of service
we are providing to all subscribers is same). Also tell me which one of
the above techniques results in more CPU utilization.

3. Another strange problem being faced is that the sub-interfaces get
stuck and need to be refreshed (i.e. "shutdown" and then "no shutdown").
I added the following lines in the sub-interface configuration:
	oam retry 3 5 1
	create on-demand

After adding the above two lines I noticed that a particular customer
(who was facing this problem very often) didnt faced it again. Adding
these two lines on all sub-interfaces will obviously cause increase in
CPU utilization. Does anybody have any idea about the increase in CPU
utilization caused by such oam queries?

Waiting for your suggestions.

Regards

Naeem-ud-Din