[c-nsp] 6500 SUP720 High Latency and Jitter issues

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Mon May 30 20:15:29 EDT 2005

Jared Mauch wrote:

> 	You may also want to enable control plane policing on your s720
> in order to limit traffic directed to the MFSC.
>
> 	keeping ICMP and other traffic down is something everyone should
> be looking at doing.
>
> 	- jared

76k related: we found that using

'mls rate-limit unicast cef receive <x> <y>'

was quite useful in stopping the traffic from even getting to the MSFC
to be dealt with by any software 'protection'.  This is on "WS-SUP720",
though, I don't know if this is still required on 3B/3BXL.  With
reasonable values of <x>, the box was now able to sustain routing
protocols despite being flooded with several Mpps (directed at its IP
interfaces) via traffic generators.  Actually any value of x made a
difference, IIRC, but setting it too low probably has negative consequences.

I'd be interested to hear if others use this command! (or if it has
known deadliness if <x> is too low) :-)

-andrew