[c-nsp] QinQ encapsulation type

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Thu Nov 3 10:06:59 EST 2005

Hello

I'm trying to setup a lab to test some QinQ tunnels.  I'm using a
Cisco 3550-12G as my 'core' switch and it is connected to two
Paradyne IPDLC 1200E DSLAMs.   Each DSLAM is pushing 4.6mbps bonded
SHDSL down to 3 Cisco 2950 switches.  I have a 4th 2950 connected
directly to the 3550

I have the 2950s setup to send a dot1q trunk out F0/1 which is
connected to the Paradyne.  The Paradyne is configured to wrap the
trunk in another VLAN (they call it BackboneVLAN but it is QinQ).
The Paradyne has a normal dot1q trunk connected to the 3550-12G.  The
3550-12G has a dot1q-tunnel port connected to the 4th 2950.

I can see the MAC addresses in the Paradyne but not in the 3550.  If
I remove the Paradyne and connect everything to the 3550 everything
works as expected.  Paradyne support thinks it may be the Ethernet
frame type that the 3550 is expecting.  They have an option of
0x8100, 0x9100 & 0x9101.   Which one should is be using?

Is there a better switch I should consider using besides the 3550?  I
don't have the budget for a 6509+SUP720BXE.

Thanks

--
Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President