[c-nsp] Questions about LCVs on a 3845 router w/VWIC-2MFT-T1-DIs

Netfortius netfortius at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 16:34:54 EST 2005

Problem: We have a 3845 with drop&insert cards (VWIC-2MFT-T1-DI), which
started experiencing errors, earlier this morning, on one of those cards (LCV
and PCV), thus - consequently - loosing both the voice and data running. We
have physically replaced that serial interface, to no avail, after which we
have contacted the Telco, and had them run tests on the line. All tests came
back fine. In the end,  All the other similar cards, in the same router,
connected to same Telco, or with other ones, configured identically to the
one experiencing errors, have no problems.

After having physically unplugged the T1 cable from the interface we were
experiencing errors on, the counter still kept climbing, this time only on
the LCV side (show controller t1 ... would show us that).

One more thing - after having physically unplugged the T1 from the Cisco, I
have plugged the it into an external CSU/DSU (Astrocom), just to get back my
voice channels, and they came up fine.

We are running now:

... 3845> sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, 3800 Software (C3845-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(3a),
RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
<snip>

and we have received the following advice from TAC:

----------  TAC Message  ----------

<snip>
I found that the current IOS on
router is affected by the bug ID CSCsb00129.

Symptom:

Any Modular Access Routers with a VWIC-2MFT-T1 or VWIC-1MFT-T1 has
problem with Line Code Violations (LCV) and Path Code Violations (PCV)
even when the circuit has been tested clean.

The last release available at the IOS uprgade planner which has the fix
for this bug is c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-5.bin. I'm very sorry but
I cannot publish you a "3DES" image because it's cryptography software
Cisco is required to screen customers to determine if they are eligible
to download cryptography images. But if you have a valid CCO ID, you can
download it <snip>

--------- End of TAC message -------------

Now - my questions:

- has anybody experienced something similar to what I am describing, and
successfully resolved the issue as suggested above?
- the bug ID provided above points, in fact, to a place where DOWNGRADE of the
IOS is recommended, not an upgrade. The cards mentioned are not DIs, like
ours, either. Is there anything I am missing here?

TIA,
Stef