[c-nsp] Cisco Gigabit EthernetSwitch Module (CGESM)fortheHPBladeSystem

christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com
Tue Oct 11 11:45:03 EDT 2005

Yup. It seems to me as though Cisco et al view multicast as the preserve
of the triple play providers.
The truth of the matter is, nobody uses multicast like the financials. And
yes, take that any way you please ;)

The guys I've met from Tibco view Cisco as the enemy of multicast, oddly
enough. Odd, because their
solution to everything is to upgrade the entire network to gig. To me,
this is counterintuitive, because it just
means multicast storms take longer to detect, and you offload the problem
from the network to the host - which
now may routinely be asked to  cope with half a gig of multicast traffic,
most of which it actually needs to
discard at the application layer. But to Cisco, it should sound like a
sales opportunity!

Internet
dave at ordinaryworld.com
11/10/2005 16:33

Christian MACNEVIN
cc

Subject
Re: [c-nsp] Cisco Gigabit EthernetSwitch Module (CGESM)fortheHPBladeSystem

People don't understand the concept of TIBCO/RV and how it works.  Until
they've seen it on a live network it's all conjecture.  You make very
valid points and Cisco needs to address the financial community better in
terms of Multicast and remember that we've spent a lot more money on
multicast-related technology than probably all of the Internet combined
(which is the direction that most of their multicast technology is aimed).

-Dave