[c-nsp] router / switch recommendation

Per Carlson lists at ip4all.net
Wed Oct 19 04:01:22 EDT 2005

On Sat Oct 15 13:39:16 2005 -0400, Adam Greene wrote:

> One of my main concerns with the 3750 or a 2800/3800 was that
> documentation states that 1000 SVIs are supported but only 128
> are recommended. I suppose that's a generic recommendation and
> the way to be sure (besides lab testing) is to look at overall
> projected TCAM utilization.

That 128 SVI recommendation does have a justification. A 3750 can
only handle 128 STP instances. So if you are using any per Vlan
STP, you have to disable STP for the last 372 of your 500 Vlans.
If you are in a guaranteed loop-free environment, that's not a
problem.

Of course, if you run MST in the network, the STP limitation is no
longer an issue.

The WIC and HWIC modules for the 2800/3800 only do 15 Vlans.

--
 \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign   | Per Carlson