[c-nsp] Frame Circuit Not Cooperating

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Sep 14 22:06:58 EDT 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>  I think I know what your problem is but your going to have a devil of
> a time getting it fixed.
>
>  I think you have a bad HTU (or NIU) card out there.  I've had 2 of
> these fail to where the interface on the card that is plugged into your
> T1 card is bad, but the rest of the card is good.  As a result the phone
> company always thinks the T1 to the NIU card is good and that your CSU
> or cabling or whatever is bad and no matter what you change out the
> circuit never works.

So ask the telco to give you a hard loop from any test point between your
demark and before the frame switch.  Change the encaps on the circuit to
hdlc, and ping yourself with large numbers of large packets of various
patterns (extended ping).  If part of the smartjack is bad, that should
detect it.

I haven't seen that anyone's talked about looking at show frame-relay pvc
output.  Perhaps they have you on a new (to you) overloaded frame switch,
and your 0 CIR pvc is having pretty much all of its traffic discarded?