[c-nsp] 28xx and a DS3

Shane Amante shane at castlepoint.net
Wed Apr 5 15:43:38 EDT 2006

Peter,

Peter Kranz wrote:
> Along a similar line of inquiry, does anyone have suggestions on an
> affordable way to split a channelized DS3 into Ethernet VLANs?

Are you asking about devices that can terminate IPCP/PPP (or
IP/cisco-HLDC) and put IP packets into Ethernet VLAN's?  Unfortunately,
the only vendor I'm aware of that provides a solution for Ch/DS3 is
WhiteRock Networks VLX300, (formerly Seranoa Networks).

OTOH, are you asking about devices that provide Ethernet over SONET/TDM?
  If it's the latter (EoS/TDM), there are a variety of vendors in this
space (including Cisco), but it depends on the mix of port-speeds you
need.  If you're looking at OC-12c and lower (down to Ch/DS3 --> T1),
then have a look at these vendors:

http://www.overturenetworks.com/
http://www.covaronetworks.com/
http://www.andanetworks.com/

You'd need to talk to each vendor individually to find out their
strengths & weaknesses relative to your environment, but all are strong
competitors in this space.

-shane