[c-nsp] Safe to enable CEF on live 3725 production router?

Lincoln Dale (ltd) ltd at cisco.com
Tue Aug 1 21:28:27 EDT 2006

> Troubleshooting a strange problem, can ping customer's managed router
> ATM WAN interface, with no loss. When pinging across the router to its
> ethernet interface, we see occasional packet loss and delay. Not
enough
> to affect data, but enough to affect voice quality of H323 trunks that
> delivers calls to their remote call center. I noticed their 3725 WAN
> router does not have CEF enabled. We are feeling the pressure, and I
> wanted to enable CEF as a troubleshooting step, but am not sure of the
> impact on traffic in a live production router. Is it safe to do this
> mid-day?

by the symptoms, I'd say its more likely that the router's ATM shaping
(either at remote office or central office, or both) doesn't match what
your telco is providing, so they are dropping traffic.

could also be QoS (or lack of).

I doubt CEF/Fast et al will make any _significant_ difference .. guess
it depends on the size of the WAN link.

cheers,

lincoln.