[c-nsp] dot1q-tunneling

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Wed Aug 2 13:25:31 EDT 2006

> The Extreme config is super simple, the ports are untagged on Vlan 544 on
> the 3750 ends, then tagged
> on the uplink ports between the two extreme switches at each site. Jumbo
> frames *is* enabled on the
> Extreme switches (9216).

I'm not sure if I read your question correctly, but it sounds like you
have this:

cisco1 -> extreme -> cisco2

If that's the case, and you want a VLAN to logically go cisco1->cisco2,
then you need the cisco-facing ports on the extreme to be trunk ports, or
at least tagged with the correct VLAN. VLAN tags won't pass through
switches that are not configured to deal with the tags.

> I can't see what could be wrong, as from what I've read simply trunking
> the Vlan should work,
> although, there is a change of Vendor inbetween... If anyone has any
> suggestions that would be much
> appreciated. These switches aren't currently live, so settings can be
> changed. :)

Make sure that trunking is enabled on all ports involved with uplinks, and
that all those uplink ports are members of the same VLAN.

     -Bill