[c-nsp] dot1q-tunneling

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Aug 2 13:49:25 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Bill Wichers wrote:

> then you need the cisco-facing ports on the extreme to be trunk ports, or
> at least tagged with the correct VLAN. VLAN tags won't pass through

Just as a FYI, there is no such thing on an extreme switch as "trunk
port". A vlan is configured to be tagged or untagged to a port or several
ports. If it's not configured to the port or it's not created in the
switch at all, any frames coming in on that port to a vlan that is not
configured to be on that port, is dropped.

Imagine it as a cisco with a requirement to have all vlans as "switchport
trunk allowed vlan" and then you have to list them all, at all times.
Extreme also has a vlan-centric configuration, you create a vlan and add
it to a port, instead of the cisco way where it's all port/interface
based.

Coming from Extreme to Cisco, I prefer the Extreme way because it gives
more control. I have noticed people used to Cisco coming to Extreme having
the totally opposite view, they like the flexibility Cisco gives. Otoh
we've more and more started to configure "switchport trunk allow vlan" to
get this control, which makes it all even between the brands. With the
added risk when it comes to cisco if you want to add a vlan to a trunkport
and you forget the "add" statement, and hose all the other vlans on that
trunkport.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se