[c-nsp] Information on "simple" VRF

nealr neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Fri Dec 22 09:48:26 EST 2006

     You can partition a Cisco device such that it has one or more
routing tables beyond the default first instance.

! Set up a separate VRF
ip vrf PUBLIC
 description public side of the switching plant
! rd has to do with MPLS+BGP - pull one from your bottom if you just
want to partition a device
 rd 1:504

! Interfaces must be associated with a VRF
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/21
 no switchport
 ip vrf forwarding PUBLIC
 ip address 209.52.52.52 255.255.255.0

! routes are added on a per VRF basis
ip route vrf PUBLIC 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 209.52.52.1

       This is enough to get you started playing with it ... you'll see
lots of use of the 'vrf' qualifier in commands you already know.