[c-nsp] SUP2 on 6509 Crashing with BGP

Richard J. Sears rsears at americanIS.net
Mon Feb 6 08:54:24 EST 2006

Thanks Jon -

I was running SUP2s for a long time in three of our 6509s doing full BGP
with 256MB of ram, but that was a couple of years ago and I know the
tables have grown a considerable amount since then.

One interesting issue is the fact that the tables are taking up a lot
more memory on this router than on my SUP720 routers for the same number
of entries. And the reboot issue is a definite indicator (in my mind
anyway) of some other type of problem.

I guess we will try the microsoft method of troubleshooting - add more
memory and try again :-)

Thanks for your input !!

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 23:01:37 -0500 (EST)
Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Feb 2006, Richard J. Sears wrote:
>
> > Hey Everyone -
> >
> > I am working on a 6509 with a SUP2 in IOS mode. I went to bring up BGP
> > with two peers today and all went well until I tried to bring up the
> > second peer.
>
> What IOS version?  If it's recent, like 12.2SX*, you don't have enough
> RAM.  Regardless, that seems to be what the maloc fails are saying.  On a
> 6509 Sup2 with not quite 2 full views, and 512mb RAM, I have 212390720
> free.  If I had 256MB less RAM, I'd be in trouble.
>
> > -Traceback= 402382D8 4023A738 40234F84 40235784 407A225C 4077A524 4078C7F4 4078CCF4 4077FD18 40784E7C 4022EC9C 4022EC88
> >
> > Then both peers go down and the router reboots itself.
>                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You might want to open a TAC case on that.  My experience with other
> ciscos, BGP, full tables, and insufficient RAM, is that the session resets
> and then tries again.  It shouldn't be crashing/rebooting just because it
> ran out of memory.

>   Jon Lewis                   |  I route
>   Senior Network Engineer     |  therefore you are
>   Atlantic Net                |

Richard J. Sears
CCNP/CCDP/F5SE
Vice President & CTO
American Internet Services
rsears at americanis.net
http://www.americanis.net
858.576.4272 - Phone
858.427.2401 - Fax
INOC-DBA - 6130

I fly because it releases my mind
from the tyranny of petty things . .

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've
never been hurt and dance like you do when nobody's
watching."