[c-nsp] 7206VXR (NPE300) & 12.3(17a)

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Tue Feb 7 10:50:28 EST 2006

Hi guys,

I was told by a Cisco tech:

"...officailly the NPE-300 is not supported after 12.3(10b)"

Will it work with code after that? Yes. We are using it as are other
people. Could it break at any point in time as new code is released?
Yes as well.

Also, taken from:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/routers/ps341/prod_eol_notice0900aecd801bd0f7.html

"End of bug fixes, patches, or regular maintenance releases. After
this date, Cisco Engineering will no longer develop, repair, or
maintain NPE-300 or C7200-I/O-FE. Product is removed from test beds.
Cisco TAC continues to support P1 and P2 issues for NPE-300 and
C7200-I/O-FE with workaround and patches where available. Customers
need to upgrade to recommended release or hardware where no
work-around exists. Software support ends in: 12.2(15)T, 12.0(29)S,
12.1(19)E, and 12.3(10b)."

Software maintenance ended late 2004 and the absolute latest you can
have support on the NPE-300 is the end of this year. Beyond that
you're out of luck.

At 10:05 AM 2/7/2006, De Houwer, Wim wrote:
>Tassos,
>
>I've got the same problem on a AS5800 access server (which has 2
>components, a 7200 for routing/intelligence and a 5800 chassis for as a
>really big modem/E1 bank).
>
>As the NPE-300 goes EOL soon, it seems to be inserted into the code, but
>in my case it also works fine...
>
>One of the cisco TAC guys suggested that i would talk about this issue
>with our account manager @ cisco and look into the upgrade path towards
>the NPE-G1,
>which is in my opinion serious overkill as the load of the NPE-300 never
>goes above 30% CPU.
>
>I don't know how long support for the NPE-300 will be included into the
>ios code, but maybe Rodney or one of the other guys can shed some light
>onto this subject ...
>
>Cheers,
>
>Wim

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain