[c-nsp] RIB-failure - anything to worry about?

Vincent De Keyzer vincent at dekeyzer.net
Thu Feb 23 12:41:03 EST 2006

> Normally nothing to worry about, but you may want to reverify your
> origination points.  I'm assuming you don't put /18s and /20s natively
> on interfaces, and that you subnet them much more than that.  If so, you
> may want to pick two or so key devices in your network to originate your
> /18s and /20s (i.e. bgp 'network' or bgp 'redist stat route-map
> aggs-only').  Then take the aggregates OUT of OSPF.  You'll no longer
> have RIB-failure

So basically, you are proposing to propagate the /18s and the /20s via iBGP
rather than with OSPF? Fine for me, it that removes this scary 'r', it's a
good idea.

> and if edge routers lose connectivity to your core,
> your edge routers will no longer blackhole some of your traffic.

... but I am already out of that danger, right? If my IX router looses
connectivity to the core, it will loose the route via OSPF, and will stop
announcing it via eBGP, correct?

Vincent