[c-nsp] dialer watch vs. matching interesting traffic

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Mon Jan 9 11:06:48 EST 2006

Piestaga <mailto:piestaga at aster.pl> wrote on Friday, December 09, 2005
4:52 PM:

> You are right. My mistake when describing the problem.
> Dialer watch-list works correctly.
> I have problem with dialer-list. In the config bellow it is configured
> as ip any any, and whatever I enter here (one particular source ip
> address or the hole network) the dialer is always trigged as ip any
> any.

yes, but as I indicated (and mentioned in the links I provided),
dialer-watch does not need interesting traffic to bring up the link, it
will always do this once the network(s) are no longer reachable over the
primary link.
This is expected behavior, as detailed in the links I provided..

Hmm, you asked: Why did we do it this way? I don't know for sure, but I
feel "Interesting traffic" doesn't really make sense for dialer watch.
By using dialer-watch, you tell the router to bring up the link when the
routes are gone. This is how the feature was designed.

If you want to bring up the link when the routes are gone *and* if there
is interesting traffic, you could just use floating static routes

	oli