[c-nsp] ComCast

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Jan 13 00:28:06 EST 2006

There are still a lot of coverage areas that cable reaches and DSL does
not.  And the problem is that for most people, switching on a broadband
connection is so stressful and foreign to them that they will not switch
providers once they get it running over a $10-15 monthly price increase.
The cable companies know this and that's why they are raising rates.

In any case the principle of the issue is the FCC defining cable as
an information service.  The data that goes over the cable is the
information service, not the cable itself.  Any fool can see that.
Until there's 3-4 different cable networks in the street that I can
choose
to hook up to, it's a monopoly and rightfully should be regulated.

Justice Scalia had a good analogy for it - the pizza delivery guy and
the pizza place arguing that delivery was "part" of the purchase of
the pizza.  Unfortunately he got outvoted.

The only good thing to come out of the case is the supremacy of the
FCC trumping state laws.  We can only hope in another decade that
the idiots at the FCC get replaced and the FCC eventually re-rules
that the cable wire networks are communications networks.

Ted