[c-nsp] Router recommendation

Steve Snodgrass ssnodgra at pheran.com
Mon Jan 16 09:21:36 EST 2006

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:20:00PM -0500, Dave Temkin wrote:
> If you've hit any of these boxes with SmartBits, you can vouch that a
> 1841 or 2821 cannot handle a combined 40 mbps (what he's proposing) of
> IMIX traffic (which is probably the best model to go with for internet
> traffic without using actual replay of customer traffic).  It'll start to
> choke around 35Mbit, esp. with any ACL's/etc.

I agree that the 1841 seems rather low-end for this application.  Also,
the fact that it is not rack-mountable would probably be annoying for
many installations.

However, I would be extremely surprised if a 2821 cannot handle 40 Mbps of
IMIX, considering that Cisco claims it will handle 87 Mbps of 64 byte
packets (170kpps).  If anything, the IMIX score should be higher.  Have you
actually tested a 2821 with an IMIX load?

--
Steve Snodgrass * ssnodgra at pheran.com * Network and Unix Guru(?) at Large
Geek Code: GCS d? s: a C++ U++++$ P+++ L++ w PS+ 5++ b++ DI+ D++ e++ r+++ y+*