[c-nsp] cisco-nsp Digest, Vol 44, Issue 14

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Jul 6 19:35:32 EDT 2006

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 12:42:37AM +0200, Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists wrote:
> > There's also the lingering question I recently asked.  If you
> > think you ever might want full BGP routes (I know you said you
> > don't now), the Sup32 may be an expensive, short lived piece of
> > hardware.  Nobody seems to know if it'll ever support >256k
> > routes.
>
> Well, with the current PFC3B it'll only support 239k. Cisco is
> now saying "no plans" when asked about the PFC3BXL for Sup32.
>
> I guess one can still hope for PFC3C(XL?).

Do you have any idea how easy it is to implement CAM aggregation (where
you don't install the fib entry for a route if there is a less specific
aggregate covering the route and pointing to the same next-hop)? Even on a
core box with lots of nexthops you can effectively double your fib
capacity that way with minimal effort, and for "most" people who have a
default route out you can get fib usage down to almost nothing. :)

This is stuff that other vendors with more limited cam space have been
managing to pull off for years, it's not rocket science. Cisco just wants
you to pony up more cash and buy a much more expensive XL.