[c-nsp] Best Router for 3-6 gigabit ethernet interface routing?

Brett Looney brett at looney.id.au
Sat Jul 8 00:08:57 EDT 2006

At 09:08 8/07/2006, you wrote:
>Why the same group of 4 ports? i don't understand, could this be 4
>ports per ASIC?

I have this vague memory of a cisco presentation that was talking
about how the 32 Gb/s ring was constructed with the ASICs, etc. and
there being some unusual instance where oversubscription could happen.

Certainly (as pointed out by David in another post) the backplane can
be oversubscribed - no question.

I could be wrong (nothing unusual there) - it was just something that
twigged in my memory.

At the end of the day, oversubscription normally isn't an issue IMO
because (a) 99% of boxes can't push 1 Gb/s anyway and (b) even if
they do the chances that all four (say, on an ASIC) will do it
simultaneously is pretty low.

B.