[c-nsp] This Version of Cisco IOS Software is not supported on NPE300

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Jun 22 17:05:00 EDT 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Brian McMahon wrote:

> It's been a long time since my days in the Access team at TAC (and
> the subsequent years of therapy have done wonders ;-), but as I
> recall it, the "router shelf" on a 5800 *is* a 7200.  If A = B, my
> strong hunch would be that whatever limitations apply to A also apply
> to B.

Yeah...the original 5800s were shipped with pairs of 7206 "router shelves"
and relatively whimpy NPEs (150 or 200 I think).  There was also a time
when they tried supporting both halves of the 5800 dial shelf using a
single NPE300 router shelf...but the one we got in that configuration
never ran very long between crashes and got downgraded to a dual router
shelf config.

This is just cisco's way of reminding you "time to buy some more
hardware...like a shiney new NPE400 or better).

BTW...anyone want some AS5800 dial shelves?  They make nice end tables or
space heaters if you have a big enough 48v feed handy.