[c-nsp] This Version of Cisco IOS Software is not supported onNPE300

Paul Khavkine paul.khavkine at distributel.ca
Thu Jun 22 17:38:38 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 17:05 -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Brian McMahon wrote:
>
> > It's been a long time since my days in the Access team at TAC (and
> > the subsequent years of therapy have done wonders ;-), but as I
> > recall it, the "router shelf" on a 5800 *is* a 7200.  If A = B, my
> > strong hunch would be that whatever limitations apply to A also apply
> > to B.

Yeah i know that the router shelf is a 7206VXR phisically , but it is
not a 7200 router, ie it does not run the 7200 IOS image. It is part of
a product. You don'y buy a DS5814 shelf and a 7206VXR, you buy an AS5800
and run AS5800 software.

Now since cisco only sold AS5800's as a bundle, software support has to
be as a bundle too, no ?

I don't think they were ever sold equipped with an NPE-400.

> Yeah...the original 5800s were shipped with pairs of 7206 "router shelves"
> and relatively whimpy NPEs (150 or 200 I think).  There was also a time
> when they tried supporting both halves of the 5800 dial shelf using a
> single NPE300 router shelf...but the one we got in that configuration
> never ran very long between crashes and got downgraded to a dual router
> shelf config.

Well we had it run at 85% capacity and if you don't do stuff like header
compression or MPP CPU usage was not that high.

> This is just cisco's way of reminding you "time to buy some more
> hardware...like a shiney new NPE400 or better).

Why should we do that if the NPE-300 is doing the job just fine. The
only reason to upgrade is that 12.2 IOS has some bugs that were fixed in
12.3.