[c-nsp] Netflow tools

Johnson, Neil M neil-johnson at uiowa.edu
Fri Mar 10 10:33:41 EST 2006

If you're looking for an open source solutions try using the following set
of tools:

Mark Fullmer's excellent Flow-Tools software: It has a netflow collector,
filters, and very versatile report generation tools.
http://www.splintered.net/sw/flow-tools/

Also I recommend Caida's Flowscan framework written by Dave Plonka combined
with Columbia University's CUFlow and CUFlowMonitor Flowscan modules written
by Johan Anderson and Matt Selsk. These Flowscan modules can be used to
generate graphs and to collect information for enforcing bandwidth usage
policies. If you are a moderate to advanced PERL programmer you can use
these modules as a basis to build your own Flowscan Modules (I wrote a
module to summarize flow data and put it in a MySql database.
http://www.caida.org/tools/utilities/flowscan/
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/networks/advanced/CUFlow/

There is an excellent document how to glue all these tools together written
by Robert Galloway.
http://www.dynamicnetworks.us/netflow/

If you want collect netflow data, but your routers have performance issues,
you can use a dedicated server that captures raw traffic and then generates
netflow data. There are many out there. I'm using Luca Deri's nProbe
product. It's written under the GPL, but he does charge a fee to get the
source code.
http://www.ntop.org/nProbe.html

Also, he and others are supporting a kernel module and library called
PF_RING that greatly improves the performance of packet captures (especially
on 1 GB connections). It involves installing patches to the kernel,
compiling libraries, and patching libpcap. It can also be used to enhance
the packet capture performance of any app that uses the libpcap library
(ethereal). PF_RING is free. (CAUTION: installation of PF_RING is not for
the faint of heart. Installation is not very well documented. Check the
ntop-misc mail list archives. I posted a document there listing the steps I
went through to install PF_RING on a Fedora Core 4 system).
http://www.ntop.org/PF_RING.html

Luca has an excellent piece of software called ntop that can collect and
summarize netflow data in real-time. It's pretty comprehensive, but not as
customizable as the former tools and I don't believe that it keeps the raw
netflow data for you to use for other analysis.
http://www.ntop.org

Recommendations: If you want to setup something quickly use ntop and use its
netflow collector module. If you want to collect and archive netflow data
for offline analysis or create your own "real-time" data analysis I would
use the flow-tools, flowscan, and CUFlow flowscan modules.

Other interesting links:
- Internet 2's Weekly Netflow Report summaries:
http://netflow.internet2.edu/weekly/

- Document on how the Abilene (Part of Internet 2) archives data (Access to
flow data requires a research proposal, but it's a good template if you want
to archive large amounts of netflow data from multiple routers). Abilene has
a collector (using flow-tools) at each POP and then collects flow files to a
central location via rsync:
http://www.itec.oar.net/abilene-netflow/datastore.txt

Probably more information than you need, but I hope at least some of it is
useful.

--
Neil Johnson
Telecommunications and Network Services