[c-nsp] iBGP questions

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Mon Mar 20 13:38:30 EST 2006

> - Our current network is multihomed with a few upstream providers. Internally
> we run a meshed iBGP session between our core network devices. In the core we
> have two Catalyst switches that are trunked with each other (for VLAN
> purpose). Do we need to run iBGP session between them too?

You didn't say if these devices were core "switches" (i.e not used for
routing in the general scheme of things) or hybrid switch/routers
(running L3)

Do customers on the 1st Catalyst have connectivity at L3 to the rest of
the network via the 2nd Catalyst (and vice versa) ?

If you are passing traffic through a device at L3 on the way to anywhere
else in your network the other device will require some form of
reachability information, be it anything from a default route to a full
IP routing table (via iBGP).

If your devices are core routers and these core routers are supposed to
hold a full routing table then they will need to speak iBGP, preferably
directly to eachother (via a full mesh) to facilitate efficient update
distribution, but other designs are possible.

Its all dependant on your design, but generally this is the case.

Dave.