[c-nsp] Traffic Engineering Internet links automatically

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Mar 27 06:43:47 EST 2006

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 01:33:25PM +0200, Kim Onnel wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 12:11:39PM +0200, Sami Joseph wrote:
> > > What does ISPs do in this situation, do you guys just manually keep
> > > moving/advertising networks between diff. peers ?
> > We get bandwidth in sufficiently large chunks...
>
> You mean that you have enough that you dont need to keep moving ?

Yes.  Dedicating vast amounts of engineer time to work on "perfect" load
balancing can easily get much more expensive than getting a bigger pipe.

(It all depends on circumstances, of course.  In Germany, uplink bandwidth
is fairly cheap these days, and if you're located in the right places,
it's just a matter of throwing a fiber link across the building, and
getting a GigE uplink port with some 100 Mbit/s. of "committed" bandwidth)

> (And in certain cases we move around traffic to/from certain remote ASes
> > by prepending inbound and using communities/prepends outbound)
>
> Well, in our case, we want to tailor it to do the maximum utilization
> possible, so any few megabits is useful, i dont think that prepending and
> communities are the way ?
>
> Any known methods ?
> Is OER used for this ?

OER will do for outgoing traffic.

For incoming traffic, you'll have to live with what BGP can give you -
prepending, communities (to have your upstream prepend to certain peer
ASes of this upstream), etc.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de