[c-nsp] Traffic Engineering Internet links automatically

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Mar 27 08:25:30 EST 2006

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 03:09:11PM +0200, Kim Onnel wrote:
> I am sure someone has been in my place before and there is something that
> can be done on this matter, i'll try to explain again in more details, maybe
> i missed something, i hope i can get suggestions on Best practices for this
>
> upstream \
> upstream ---- multiple links ----- GW-INTERNET---
> upstream /
>
> the multiple links are all terminated on our side at 1 router (GW-INTERNET)
> and the upstream isnt 1 router, but same AS

Ah, now I understand.  So this is *one* Upstream, but multiple links
to multiple routers of the same Upstream?

Yes, in this case, "prepending" and "communities" will not work very well
(this works better for "multiple ustreams").

> Lets say i have 3 PoS and 2 Giga
>
> My manager wakes up each day, checks MRTG, finds that the Giga has some room
> and that PoS is full, so he tells me to move some networks around to achieve
> this, as Gert said above, it is time consuming, specially when moving 1 /24
> doesnt do it and half of my day is spent in excel sheets and updating
> everyone ?
>
> What is the correct thing to be done here ?

Can you change the 3 PoS into an additional GigEth?  Depending on the
local environment, this might cost less - and it's more bandwidth, and
easier to balance.

Another approach is what you already do: move around more-specific BGP
announcements (hopefully with "no-export", so that your upstream gets
them, but not everybody else).  But this gains you only so much.

For outgoing traffic, OER might *really* work :-)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de