[c-nsp] Network Upgrade

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed May 31 17:04:07 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 03:44:47PM -0400, Paul Stewart wrote:
> Whoops... that's embarrassing.. sorry about the blank email...
>
> Looking at upgraded our core network.  Currently have a pair of 6500's doing BGP
> (Sup2/MSFC2) and edge routing.  Looking to offload the BGP portion onto a GSR,
> but at the same time do some firewalling on the 6500's.  This would be hopefully
> using IOS FW feature set and basic access-lists.  For low traffic, does this
> work ok and/or have a major CPU impact?

Do you already have the GSR, or are you planning to purchase it?

In the latter case, consider getting Sup720/3Bs for the 6500 - hardware
firewall filtering (well, "access lists"), full BGP, and LOTS of
horse power, for just a part of the price of a GSR.

And you get a switch fabric in the same go...

If you already have the GSR, I can't say - not much experience with
Sup2/MSFC2 combos.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de