[c-nsp] NAT & two routers

Christian Zeng christian at zengl.net
Fri Nov 3 15:20:45 EST 2006

* matthew zeier <mrz at velvet.org> wrote:
>Next-hop is supposed to load balance across some number of glsb speakers
>and this is where the mental block was coming from - if there's no NAT
>xlate sync and my next-hop bounces around, I probably couldn't maintain
>any connections outbound with PAT at least.

Yes, this would not work. The address pools are dedicated to each
device. Load Balancing breaks this concept, because you have to route
each pool to the box it is assigned to and not to a virtual gateway
address.

But think about this, If a PAT router fails, a remaining router takes
over and new connections will be PATed in the pool of this router. With
static pool assignment, there is no bouncing around by the next hop,
because the pools are unique per device.

Of course, connections handled by the failed router are lost and must
re-established if neccesary.

Best regards,

Christian