[c-nsp] T3 with unavailable seconds but no errors

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Nov 10 19:38:58 EST 2006

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 04:28:30PM -0600, James Sneeringer wrote:
> We have a 7204VXR with one PA-T3+ running 12.2(2)T. We're seeing
> moderate (under 20%) packet loss that appears to be due to unavailable
> seconds I'm seeing on the controller. However, the controller is not
> indicating any actual errors or alarms.
>
> C7204VXR# show controller serial 3/0
>    Framing is c-bit, Clock Source is Line
>    Bandwidth limit is 44210, DSU mode 0, Cable length is 10
>    rx FEBE since last clear counter 956505, since reset 13909242
>    Data in current interval (690 seconds elapsed):
>      0 Line Code Violations, 0 P-bit Coding Violation
>      0 C-bit Coding Violation
>      0 P-bit Err Secs, 0 P-bit Sev Err Secs
>      0 Sev Err Framing Secs, 31 Unavailable Secs
>      0 Line Errored Secs, 0 C-bit Errored Secs, 0 C-bit Sev Err Secs
>    Total Data (last 3 15 minute intervals):
>      0 Line Code Violations, 0 P-bit Coding Violation,
>      0 C-bit Coding Violation,
>      0 P-bit Err Secs, 0 P-bit Sev Err Secs,
>      0 Sev Err Framing Secs, 96 Unavailable Secs,
>      0 Line Errored Secs, 0 C-bit Errored Secs, 0 C-bit Sev Err Secs
>
> Any thoughts on what might be causing this condition?

	do you have visibility on the other end of the link as well?

	i see a few things above that make me wonder some stuff.

	1) cable length, likely not it, but something to perhaps check
on.
	2) timing, is the far side set for line as well?  are you
supposed to be taking network timing, or internal?
	3) it shows you're getting FEBE (Far End Blocking Errors) on
the link.  You may want to check into that as well, it could be bad
hardware or cabling or many things.

	I'd start with looking at counters on the other end of the link.

	- jared