[c-nsp] static route across LACP link

Brian McMahon brmcmaho at cabrillo.edu
Sat Oct 7 01:09:33 EDT 2006

Quoth A. Li:

> A - I assume this is happening because I don't have an L3 interface
> for
> vlan20 on the 3650. So although I do have a default route, it is
> pointing to
> an address that I do not now how to get to. However, if this is the
> case,
> I'm not sure how to get around it. This is a /30, and the other IP
> address
> belongs to my ISP.
>
> B - If this is the case, I am not sure why?

All next-hop routes must, by definition, be directly connected.

Directly connected = same subnet = same L2 broadcast domain.

If you configure a route via a next hop that doesn't meet this
requirement, IOS won't install it in the routing table.  That is
exactly what you are seeing.

As for how you get around it ... several possibilities, depending on
what you have and what you're trying to accomplish, but let's start
with this: before you added the second switch, what did/do hosts on
your other VLANs use as their route out to the world?  Not the
address in the /30, presumably, for the same reason as above.

--
Brian McMahon <brian dot mcmahon at cabrillo dot edu>
Computer Networking and System Administration Instructor