[c-nsp] VRRP for eBGP

Edward B. DREGER eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Tue Oct 10 13:08:04 EDT 2006

TJ> Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:14:00 +0200
TJ> From: "Tantsura, Jeff"

TJ> Thanks for reminding that 3 times, you made your point clear :)

I'm a bit confused.  I posted once and only once...

TJ> I wasn't saying that it would be seamless...
TJ> What I meant that BGP session would be established with a router which is
TJ> HSRP master and if another router has become a master, after some time
TJ> (about 2 minutes if I remember correctly) it would re-establish BGP session
TJ> with this router.

We run multiple BGP sessions instead.  It's virtually no more work
(peer-group is your friend!) and gives cleaner results.

CARP/HSRP/VRRP are fine for static-routed boxes.  Using it for BGP, thus
forcing someone's BGP session to time out and be re-established, isn't
exactly a great idea.

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.