[c-nsp] ISG and HTTP redirection

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Wed Oct 11 03:59:09 EDT 2006

That 500 number seems quite stange, since 10k is the "strongest" of the 3 platfroms ISG is supported.

We're using 10k for L2TP termination and we know that when traffic is punted to the RP, 10k gets on
its knees.

But according to http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6588/prod_bulletin0900aecd804a2c70.html :

"High-performance design scales to 32,000 sessions with the Performance Routing Engine 2 (PRE-2) and
up to 40,000 sessions with PRE-3 on the Cisco 10000 Series. The Cisco 7200 Series and Cisco 7301
scale from 4000 to 8000 sessions. Performance can vary depending on the configuration."

I find it very difficult to believe that the "Performance can vary depending on the configuration"
could mean "if you use L4 redirect on the 10k, you get only 500 sessions".

Of course i could be wrong, but since we're already evaluating ISG (on a 7200 now, on a 10k later)
and L4 redirect is a needed feature, i wish i'm not ;)

PS: I just show the "Permanent" word you used, so i guess this is probably what makes it a problem...

Regards,
Tassos