[c-nsp] setup for cat express 500?

James Sneeringer jsneeringer at jupiterimages.com
Wed Oct 18 19:29:16 EDT 2006

I've inherited a Cat Express 500 (model WS-CE500G-12TC) that I need to
be able to manage remotely. CDP reports it is running IOS 12.2(25)FY.
Near as I can tell from CDP output, the unit has no IP address and has
never been configured. I attempted to follow the setup procedures
outlined here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6545/products_getting_started_guide09186a0080524310.html

However, when I get to what should be step 8 (the setup screen appearing
in the browser), instead I get a screen asking if I want to wipe the
config, reboot with the factory default OS, or both. This would seem to
indicate the unit already has some non-default configuration on it, but
according to our staff that installed it, no one has ever configured it.
Is this normal, and perhaps the setup guide is just missing a step?

The Cat Express units don't have a console port, so I can't go that
route. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

-James

--
James Sneeringer                   JupiterImages Corp
Network/Phone Engineer             a division of Jupitermedia Corp