[c-nsp] Article: Beware of counterfeit Cisco gear

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Oct 25 15:04:57 EDT 2006

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Scott Granados wrote:

> Yes, but you have to agree that Cisco abuses it's customers on this
> front as well.  While $160 might be quite reasonable for a t1 interface
> (at least I think so), $7000 for Kingston memory that is available at
> Frys isn't.  Are 3rd parties making fake higher end components like 6509
> cards or the like or is this mainly an issue on the smaller gbic / wicc
> side of things?

I've got no problem with 3rd party parts as long as they're compatible,
someone stands behind them, and they don't lie.  I don't want a "China
special" WIC if I think I'm buying a cisco WIC.

As for the memory, can you cite the example you keep mentioning?  My
experience has been that cisco is usually around 10x market price on
memory...which is why we typically get memory from Crucial.