[c-nsp] My Tech Support nuisance

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists lists at hojmark.org
Wed Oct 25 18:43:31 EDT 2006

> Why does Cisco have to inject the time into this?  Very
> annoying.

It is just another proof that the web developers hate the users,
that the people evaluating feedback don't have a clue about what
they're dealing with, and that cisco.com is a marketing site, not
a tech site.

Another of the extremely annoying 'feature' is the forced pop-
ups. If the user wants a pop-up (or a new tab!), why not let the
user indicate so by using Shift-Click / Ctrl+Click? To make
things even worse, those pop-ups are often on pages, which
contain nothing much but the link to open a pop-up.[1]

They've also limited the number of concurrent downloads, so you
can't grab say four different images for four different platforms
at the same time (think PSIRTs).

Lots of links are JavaScript-based and the pages are generally
pretty 'heavy' and slow, which is the last thing that you want
when you troubleshooting something and maybe have only limited
access to the Net.

Etc etc etc.

If enough people consistently score them low (say, "1") in
evaluations then *maybe* at some point we will get their
attention.

-A
[1] Examples: www.cisco.com/tac > Registered Users > Get Tools &
Resources launches Bug Toolkit in a forced new window. All Tools
> Cisco Power Calculator (requires you to log in again) takes you
to a page with nothing much but a new link and another forced
pop-up.