[c-nsp] 7206 VXR size question

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Wed Sep 20 13:36:18 EDT 2006

Eric Helm wrote:
> How many ATM Port Adapters (PA-A3-OC3SMI) are supported on a single 7206
> VXR NPE-400 with 512MB DRAM? I need to put 3 of them in the box.
> This will terminate 1500 DSL Internet subscribers, 90% are 256kbps, so
> PPS or Mbps should not be an issue.

Chances are if you have an NPE-400 you have the dual FE IO controller.
Unless you upgraded an older box with one FE controller.

A two port IO controller takes 400 bandwidth points, so you can only put
TWO OC3 cards on the opposite PCI bus.

If you have a single FE you can put one OC3 on the even side and two on
the odd side, three total.

If you have an NPE-G1/G2 then you can put four OC3 cards, two on each bus.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

There are two ways to write error-free programs. Only the third one works.