[c-nsp] spanning-tree and redundant links

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Sun Sep 24 18:52:16 EDT 2006

On 23/09/2006, at 7:30 AM, <raa at opusnet.com> <raa at opusnet.com> wrote:

> Back to Jon Mendoza's point, if I did it this way, I could
> distribute the
> load on the switches.  Say the next Vlan I setup is Vlan20 and I
> make the
> HSRP active router and root bridge for vlan20 6509-sw2.

A very common practice is to do exactly this and to root the odd
vlans on one switch and the evens on the other.  Works just fine in a
PVST environment.  If you are going to go nuts on the vlan front and
plan to run MST then you should use a large block oriented allocation
method as odds vs evens will result in a huge MST config on all your
access switches.

David