[c-nsp] 3rd party Xenpak for 65xx

gb b gmb256 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 03:39:04 EDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 16:41:09 -0400 Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

  > BTW I hope everyone had the opportunity to read:
  > http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=102950

  I think this article and the discussion below it lacks at least two main points.

  First, for those extremely high prices, Cisco is sometimes delivering  outdated modules. Although the final standard for XENPAKs (3.0) was  approved in Sept 2002, Cisco was shipping pre-standard (2.1) LR modules  without DOM support even in summer 2005. Similarly, even though there  are many sources for DOM-enabled SFPs for quite a long time, the SX, LX  and ZX ones shipped by Cisco are still lacking DOM.

  Second, vendor locking has motivated some "companies" to produce fake  Cisco modules. The quality of such "products" is sometimes very poor;  but as their EEPROM is typically just a copy of some genuine Cisco  module, the real manufacturer is unknown and customers can't easily  distinguish them from the originals. So instead of ensuring quality,  we've ended in the mess.

  --gmb