[c-nsp] Circuit provisioning between an ONS 15454 and a non-Cisco NE?

Aaron Daubman daubman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 11:38:08 EDT 2007

Phil,

> If you do a search on "Ethernet Manual Cross-connects" you'll find
> some information on manually connecting an Ethernet port to an outgoing
> STS circuit.

Thanks for the tip.  Searching as you described seems to return
results which all sum up to the following:

"""
ONS 15454s require end-to-end CTC visibility between nodes for normal
provisioning of Ethernet circuits. When other vendors' equipment sits
between ONS 15454s, OSI/TARP-based equipment does not allow tunneling
of the ONS 15454 TCP/IP-based DCC. To circumvent a lack of continuous
DCC, the Ethernet circuit must be manually cross connected to an STS
channel using the non-ONS network. Manual cross-connects allows an
Ethernet circuit to run from ONS node to ONS node while utilizing the
non-ONS network. (See  Figure 13-13.)

Note In this chapter, "cross-connect" and "circuit" have the following
meanings: Cross-connect refers to the connections that occur within a
single ONS 15454 to allow a circuit to enter and exit an ONS 15454.
Circuit refers to the series of connections from a traffic source
(where traffic enters the ONS 15454 network) to the drop or
destination (where traffic exits an ONS 15454 network).
"""

This describes what I want to do (basically, even though there will
not be an ONS on the other side of the circuit).  Unfortunately,
however, I could not find any documentation on performing the manual
cross-connect.

Have you found this documented anywhere (we're using XC10Gs)?

Thanks again,
     ~Aaron