[c-nsp] DWDM SFP support

gmb gmb256 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 01:33:01 EDT 2007

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps5455/products_device_su
> pport_table09186a0080385874.html#wp67207
>
> I see that a few platforms (6500 and it's ME
> variants) support the DWDM
> SFP, but I'm not seeing it on the smaller switches
> or routers.  The
> 6500s all seem to require 18SXF8 or newer, so I
> guess they're a brand
> new type of module.  Don't see them on the price
> list yet either.
> Anyone know if these will be supported at some point
> in the future on
> the smaller platforms?

The problem with DWDM SFPs was their excessive power
consumption. While SFP MSA allows 1 W, the initial
DWDM SFPs required 1.3 - 1.5 W.

According to
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps5455/products_data_sheet0900aecd80582763.html
these must be 2-nd generation modules, since at 3.3 V
the typical supply current is 200 mA and maximum 300
mA which means they are MSA compliant.

There's no reason why they shouldn't work on smaller
platforms - except for the fact that some show
commands will output "unknown" as module type until
the IOS is updated with their product numbers.

--gmb